The July meal box delivery day is just around the corner - July 20th, and we're so excited to announce that this month's meal boxes will include two pounds of sausages from the butcher shop! Two pounds is equivalent to eight sausages and there are a few different flavors going out as well. There will be 50 pounds of smoked cheddar sausages coming from Harriston Meats, and Stone Horse Farm will be supplying 20 honey garlic, 20 Oktoberfest, 20 hot dogs and 10 Italian sausages.
Each July meal box will include the following items:
- 2 lbs Onions Dominion Farm Produce Inc.
- 2 lbs Carrots Dominion Farm Produce Inc.
- 2 lbs beets Dominion Farm Produce Inc.
- 1 bunch of spinach Springh Farms
- Romaine lettuce head Gaetano Green Acres Inc.
- Green Leaf lettuce head Gaetano Green Acres Inc.
- 4 L of either 1% or 2% Beatrice milk Costco
- 1 wedge of mild Gouda specialty cheese Continental Specialties
- 1 dozen farm fresh eggs Homestead Farm
- 1 lb of butter Alliston Creamery
- 500 mg of honey Innisfil Creek Honey
- 1/2 pint of raspberries Barrie Hill Farms
- Artisan buns/bread loaf Caldense Bakery (Bradford location)
- Single serve Muesli morning rounds x 2 Ozery Family Bakery
- Portuguese pastries Caldense Bakery (Head office)
- Bakery desserts Don's Bakery of Barrie
- Frozen broth made from donated ingredients Thorganic Farms + others
- 6-pack Costco toilet paper Costco
Here's a quick video of our volunteers making the pork and beef broth soup for the July meal boxes at Thorganic Farms!
The July meal boxes only cost $41 but are valued at $101!
Our monthly meal boxes can only be purchased on behalf of a low-income family living in Barrie and for the July meal boxes, there are only 60 boxes available. If you would like to sponsor a low-income family in Barrie by purchasing a meal box on their behalf, please send an e-transfer to: firstname.lastname@example.org . If you would like to apply for a meal box, please fill out the form found on our Meal Box Program page.
June 2022 Meal Box Delivery
Our June meal boxes went out on June 22, 2022 and this was the first official day of our monthly meal box delivery program. Previously, we had done a Christmas dinner meal box delivery program, as well as an Easter dinner meal box delivery program - both of which were organized by Lisa Peterson of Stone Horse Farm, who is also the organizer of the Thornton Farmers' Market and administrator of the Farm-to-Family Local Fare Barrie group. Lisa had gathered a group of local farmers and put together 50 meal boxes that would be given to low-income families so they could enjoy a nice Christmas and Easter dinner over the holidays, and Fresh Food Weekly simply arranged for these meal boxes to be delivered throughout Barrie. These two programs worked out so well, we decided we would like to continue doing this dinner meal box delivery program on a monthly basis!
If you would like to support local farmers and food businesses by purchasing food through Lisa's Farm-to-Family Local Fare Barrie group, then you should definitely check out their online catalog!
To date, all of our meal box delivery days have been put together at Thorganic Farms in Thornton but because the demand for this program has been so high, we'll begin putting these boxes together at a bigger space with Countryside United Church, located at 7 Robert Street in Thornton, Ont.